Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:13 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > My understanding: Teradata and DB2 use this.
>
> FWIW - I think DB2 uses the successive fact RID buildup (i.e method 2),
> unfortunately

I think you're right; I was thinking about that point too because DB2
doesn't have index-organised tables (well, sort of: MDC).

I was confused because IBM seem to have a patent on (1), even though it
seems exactly like the original NCR/Teradata implementation, which
predates the patent filing by many years. Wierd.

It's a minefield of patents....

> I haven't got a working copy of DB2 in front of me to test.

True, not all copies work :-)

Best Regards, Simon Riggs