Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:10 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> >>I found these two papers whilst browsing:
> >>

> >>http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs227/Papers/Indexing/O'NeilGraefe.pdf
> >>http://www.dama.upc.edu/downloads/jaguilar-2005-4.pdf
> >>

> >>They seem to be describing a more subtle method making use of join
> >>indexes and bitmapped indexes.
> >

> > Which is the option (2) I described.
> >

> Ok - I misunderstood you on this one, and thought you were describing
> the "star transformation" - upon re-reading, I see that yes, it's more
> or less a description of the O'Neil Graefe method.

Papers look interesting; I'd not seen them. My knowledge of this is
mostly practical.

O'Neil and Graefe seem to be talking about using join indexes, which is
probably method (3)... oh lordy.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs