Re: CLUSTER and clustered indices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: CLUSTER and clustered indices
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 21:57 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Personally I'd prefer to see index-ordered heaps, where the heap is
> itself an index, so the ordering it automatically kept.

Agreed. (I think thats case-closed on the previous proposal.)

As an aside, Index Organized Tables (IOTs) isn't just an Oracle term.
They first used the term, but the concept had already been implemented
in both Tandem (value-ordered) and Teradata (hash-ordered) before this,
as well as numerous OLAP systems. The concept doesn't look to be
patented.

If anybody is looking for a justification for IOTs, the reduction in
table volume for large tables is very high. IOTs are the equivalent of
removing all of the leaf blocks of the clustered index.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs