Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 11:36 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Well, it could also be argued that DW apps could often get away with
> using floating point types, even where the primary source needs to be in
> fixed point for accuracy, and that could generate lots of  savings in
> speed and space. But I guess everybody gets to make their own choices.

I've never seen a requirement for a DW to be less accurate than the
primary source. Its almost always the other way around.

If its money, then no. If its other physical measurements, then yes.
There's lots of scientific apps that wouldn't use NUMERICs much, but
there's enough apps that do for me to care.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs