Re: Partitioning docs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Partitioning docs
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2005-02-11 at 19:55 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Trying to identify which bit of advice you refer to.... I put some
> comments in based upon feedback from the beta on specific queries that
> were not optimised the same as non-inherited tables.

ISTM that query optimization *always* works differently for inherited
versus non-inherited tables, so there are a wide variety of queries you
could describe like that.

The other problem is the documentation is sufficiently vague that it is
of little use, IMHO. Simply saying "query X is optimized differently"
without explaining what causes the difference, what the performance
impact is likely to be, or how to workaround the problem isn't likely to
be very helpful.

-Neil