Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:52, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 22:00 +0200, Craig wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We
> > will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
> > We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4
> > x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a
> > 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated
> >

> Runs perfectly fine on 5.4-Release AMD64 here, built straight from
> ports.

Keep in mind that AMD64 is just one of many 64 bit environments that
postgresql can compile in and run on in 64 bit mode.  So, it's not an
entirely new thing or something like that.

Any problems are more likely to be due to problems in the 64 bit
libraries in the system surrounding it, and those PostgreSQL can't vouch
for.