Re: why vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Splivalo
Subject Re: why vacuum
Date
Re: why vacuum  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 10:19 -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> But, the next time someone says that slony is a toy add on, and MySQL
> has REAL replication, point them to THIS page on the same blog:
>
> http://ebergen.net/wordpress/?p=70
>
> In short, it basically shows that MySQL replication is incredibly
> fragile, and not fit for production on any real system.  The lack of
> system wide transaction support, like postgresql has, makes the problem
> he outlines that much worse.
>
> The hoops people will jump through to use their favorite toys...

I see no point in blatantly putting 'other' products such shape. Pgsql
offers no replication at all, you need to use slony (wich is also a poor
replacement for a wannabe replication), or some other commercial
products. What about 2PC? What about linking the databases from
different servers?

I've been using MSSQL for over 6 years now, started with MSSQL7 and went
on with MSSQL2000. The replication it offers is superb! It runs
smoothly, you have click-me-click interface with wich you can create
publications and deploy them to subscribers with ease. Ok, there are
gotchas (and they-re ms-style funny), but it's all well documented, and
works most of the time as expected. So what?

Btw, I 'ported' the merge replication from MSSQL to postgres. It
basicaly adds triggers to every table that is 'published' for
replication. There is a separate table to store and calculate the change
differences from several servers (so you could do update on any of the
servers and change will be propagated to the others). I'm missing 2PC
badly here, I wrote some stupid python 'thingie' wich should act as 2PC
serializer, but that's slow as hell. And triggers slow down postgres
quite a bit.

So, to end this 'my father has bigger car than yours' debate, when will
postgres have two phase commit protocol implemented? I presume that
should come after you allow something like SELECT someCol FROM
myServer.myDatabase[Schema].myTable...
Mike
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."