Re: Select gives the wrong results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Crystle Numan
Subject Re: Select gives the wrong results
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:42 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 04:48:49PM -0400, Crystle Numan wrote:
> > Dear all:
> >
> > I am fairly knowledgeable about PostgreSQL but this behaviour is
> > stumping me. Any help would be wonderful. If you think it is a bug, let
> > me now and I'll file one.
> >
> > (select values in DB (date stamps) between Jan 1, 2000 and Jan 1, 2005,
> > no results)
>
> <snip results>
>
> Looks to me like "value" is a string type, is this possible?
>
> ORDER BY value should make it more obvious.

I think you are correct, that because the field is a string the
comparison is not working as I expected. Unfortunately, the way we set
up the database, I can't change the type to int as other values in this
'value' field contain letters. I'll have to find another way to get the
proper comparison.

Thanks to all who replied!

Crystle
--
Crystle Numan, B.Sc., Web Developer
Guided Vision: the possibilities are endless