[newbie] server startup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Probert
Subject [newbie] server startup
List pgsql-general
Hi ..

I am just playing with PostgreSQL 8.0.1  The server is running on a
Solaris 8 platform with the kernel parameters tweaked as suggested.

When I start the server, the logfile reports:

  $ pg_ctl start -l logfile
  postmaster starting

  $ cat logfile
  LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Cannot assign requested address
  HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
    wait a few seconds and retry.
  LOG:  could not bind socket for statistics collector: Cannot
    assign requested address
  ..
  LOG:  database system is ready

SO, the db is up and running locally but I can't get to it from the
network.

  $ psql -l -h dbhost
  psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "dbhost" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

The build is from sunfreeware.  Any thoughts on how to get my config up
and working across the network?

TIA,

--
-mark.  (probertm at acm dot org)