Re: Password Authentication - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Password Authentication
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 12:53 -0400, Mike wrote:
> I'm trying to set up postgresql to work with postfix MTA and dovecot
> IMAP server.
> I am editing the pg_hba.conf file to get postgresql to accept password
> authentication for localhost.
>
> i have entered the following into pg_hba.conf --
>
> host   all   all   127.0.0.1/32   password
>
> But this is not working and I'm getting the following error ---

That does not seem to be relevant to your problem.

> root@charlie /etc/init.d # /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
>  * Restarting PostgreSQL...
> su: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.

This appears to be saying that the init script is calling su (presumably
to change identity to postgres) but is failing for some reason - perhaps
the postgres user has not been created in /etc/passwd?

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html