Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> Argument 3: backwards compatibility.  Do you remember how tablespaces
> introduction broke pgAdmin?

This argument, at least, is bogus.  See my original comments to Josh:
it is not credible that these views will be significantly more stable
than the underlying catalogs.  We don't change the catalogs on whims;
we change them because we have to in order to make some significant
improvement in functionality.  For instance, if this nested-schema
idea goes in, the proposed views will have to change, or else become
useless for most of the purposes they are being touted for.