Re: Quad Opteron stuck in the mud - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Quad Opteron stuck in the mud
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:54 -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
> For example, as I'm writing this, I am running an UPDATE statement
> that will affect a small part of the table, and is querying on an
> indexed boolean field.

An indexed boolean field?

Hopefully, ftindex is false for very few rows of the table?

Try changing the ftindex to be a partial index, so only index the false
values. Or don't index it at all.

Split the table up into smaller pieces.

Don't use an UPDATE statement. Keep a second table, and insert records
into it when you would have updated previously. If a row is not found,
you know that it has ftindex=true. That way, you'll never have row
versions building up in the main table, which you'll still get even if
you VACUUM.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs