Performance analysis of plpgsql code - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Performance analysis of plpgsql code
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding the poorly performing
statements in my plpgsql procedures, many of which
are triggers.  Am I missing something?

I can get the query plans by starting up a new
connection and doing:
SET DEBUG_PRINT_PLAN TO TRUE;
SET CLIENT_MIN_MESSAGES TO DEBUG1;
And then running code that exercises my functions.
Then I can find the queries that, in theory,
could have problems.  But problems remain
after this.

What I'd really like is a SET variable (or maybe
a clause in CREATE FUNCTION) that causes any
functions compiled to issue EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
and the query text itself, to be RAISEd.
Then I could watch the performance as it ran.

Short of that I think I'm going to be reduced to
writing a C function that returns the real
system time so I can spatter my code with
RAISE statements that indicate actual execution
time.

Is there a better approach?
Does anybody have such a C function handy?

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein