Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:00 -0400, Amit V Shah wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> I ran a very prelimnary test, and found following results. I feel they are
> wierd and I dont know what I am doing wrong !!!
>
> I made a schema with 5 tables. I have a master data table with foreign keys
> pointing to other 4 tables. Master data table has around 4 million records.
> When I run a select joining it with the baby tables,
>
> postgres -> returns results in 2.8 seconds
> mysql -> takes around 16 seconds !!!! (This is with myisam ... with innodb
> it takes 220 seconds)

We said MySQL was faster for simple selects and non-transaction inserts
on a limited number of connections.

Assuming you rebuilt statistics in MySQL (myisamchk -a), I would presume
that PostgreSQLs more mature optimizer has come into play in the above 5
table join test by finding a better (faster) way of executing the query.

If you post EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for the queries, we might be able to
tell you what they did differently.

> I am all for postgres at this point, however just want to know why I am
> getting opposite results !!! Both DBs are on the same machine

If possible, it would be wise to run a performance test with the
expected load you will receive. If you expect to have 10 clients perform
operation X at a time, then benchmark that specific scenario.

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL will perform differently in a typical real
load situation than with a single user, single query situation.