Re: Adaptec/LSI/?? RAID - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: Adaptec/LSI/?? RAID
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 20:42 -0700, Stacy White wrote:
> We're in the process of buying another Opteron server to run Postgres, and
> based on the suggestions in this list I've asked our IT director to get an
> LSI MegaRaid controller rather than one of the Adaptecs.
>
> But when we tried to place our order, our vendor (Penguin Computing) advised
> us:
>
> "we find LSI does not work well with 4GB of RAM. Our engineering find that
> LSI card could cause system crashes. One of our customer ... has found that
> Adaptec cards works well on PostGres SQL -- they're using it as a preforce
> server with xfs and post-gress."
>
> Any comments?  Suggestions for other RAID controllers?

Hi,

We're using the Megaraid (Intel branded model) on a dual Opteron system
with 8G RAM very happily.  The motherboard is a RioWorks one, the OS is
Debian "Sarge" AMD64 with kernel 2.6.11.8 and PostgreSQL 7.4.7.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267

Attachment