Re: PG Patch (fwd) [openserver patch followup #2] - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: PG Patch (fwd) [openserver patch followup #2]
Date
List pgsql-patches

--On Friday, July 25, 2003 03:28:55 -0500 Andrew Dunstan
<andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Finally I understand the issue, I think.
>
> But wouldn't an ordinary user on SCO wanting to install a private copy of
> Pg then have to hack the Makefiles to change/remove the abolute DT_SONAME?
> If so, that seems to me to mandate that this not be in the vanilla
> distribution. OS Vendors commonly make changes like this in software
> versions they distribute - that's a different thing from putting it in the
> standard distribution, ISTM.
>
> The benefit Larry cites seems to me to be small - presumably his Makefiles
> must include "-L /usr/local/pgsql/lib", so adding
> "-R /usr/local/pgsql/lib" doesn't look like a big thing. Adding an Rpath
> to executables to use libs in non-standard locations is very common,
> surely?
except for things like PHP that create YASO (Yet Another Shared Object),
and do NOT
require the base EXECUTABLE to be recompiled, and use broken tools (e.g.
libtool) to
build the .SO.....

 Maybe this needs to be YACO (yet another configure option)
the option proposed would Do the right thing with a private copy, as it
would make the
DT_SONAME for their private copy their path.

LER

]