Re: Anyone doing a 8.0.2-x86_64-RHEL4.rpm? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: Anyone doing a 8.0.2-x86_64-RHEL4.rpm?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/05/2005 05:46:16 PM, Daniel Browning wrote:
> [I posted this recently to ports, but I think this is a more proper
> location]
>
> Is anyone working on an 8.0.2 RPM for x86_64 on Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 4?  There is a i686 version for RHEL4, and a x86_64 version for
> RHEL3,
> but no combination of the two.

I can't think why you couldn't do a

   rpmbuild --target=ia64-redhat-linux-gnu *.srpm

on the RH EL 4 srpm.

However, you could have problems because the 8.0.2 packaging
does not allow for both the 8.x and 7.x libraries to be
installed on the same box, which could make problems for
various clients.  I can't find any indication this will
be fixed for 8.0.3 on any mailing lists either.  As it seems
the 8.x libarary API has changed, at least that's how
I interpret the library major version number bump, it'd be a drag
to have to wait for all the clients to use the new API before
upgrading to 8.  :-(  I Cc-ed the rpm packger rather than
use the bug tracking system because the bug system seems unused
(and I only found it just now by accident.)

See:

Rpm packaging of 8.0.2 libraries
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-05/msg00219.php

Regards,