Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On 2023-01-22 00:10:29 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> I doubt we want to just go straight to changing the default value for
>> everyone. IMHO if the "try" logic is somehow broken, we should fix the
>> try logic, not mess with the defaults.

> Agreed. But we could disable huge pages explicitly inside initdb - there's
> really no point in using it there...

One of the things initdb is trying to do is establish a set of values
that is known to allow the server to start.  Not using the same settings
that the server is expected to use would break that idea completely.

            regards, tom lane