Re: What are the consequences of a bad database design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tony
Subject Re: What are the consequences of a bad database design
Date
List pgsql-general
Le lundi 11 avril 2005 à 09:39 +0000, Jinane Haddad a écrit :

> i just got a new job in a small entreprise and they are using postgres as a
> database for their application. I was stupefied cause the database design is
> so bad : we can even say it has been done by amateurs.

> But the people i am working with are not considering the restructuring of
> the database. They are even thinking of expanding it by adding new modules.

Why did they hire you? If it is because of your PostgreSQL knowledge
then I suggest you:

    - do a quick private audit of the problems and document them well
    - arrange a meeting with your superior and tell him what you have
found
    - propose solutions and give a rough estimate of time frame to fix
what is broken

Cheers

Tony