Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 21:58, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > > For an organization like PGDG that _isn't_ politically activist in
> > > nature (and that arguably isn't clearly defined for legal purposes) to
> > > steer clear of political activism doesn't seem particularly
> > > schizophrenic to me...
> >
> > Yes, but it would be hard to argue that anyone in the Postgres project favors
> > software patents.
>
> I am sure some of our new users _do_ favor software patents, perhaps
> because they don't yet understand the problems they are causing.
>
> Do we want the PostgreSQL web site to be educating them?  If we do, we
> have to educate, not put a banner up there, and if we don't want to
> educate, we shouldn't put it up there.

Isn't the point of the banner to link to information where the user
could learn about software patents?  Are you arguing that the banner
shouldn't say "software patents bad" but just "learn about software
patents" ?

Robert Treat