Re: Extended unit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: Extended unit
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 08:45 -0500, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> That's not necessarily a constant; there is evidence to suggest that
> the speed of light is slowing down over time.  If that is indeed the
> case, then as light travels more slowly, a light year will become
> shorter.
>
> http://www.ldolphin.org/speedo.html
> http://www.ldolphin.org/cdkalan.html
> http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0809_cdk_davies.asp

I don't intend to start any off-topic threads, but the evidence that you
sighted seems to suggest that the speed of light is slowing down, but it
doesn't explain how it can only be 6,000 years old when scientists are
able to observe the light of stellar objects more than 6,000 light years
away. This would be evidence that would contradict the information that
you have referenced... as it would mean that the age of our universe is
several billions of years old.

I would be more than happy to discuss this off-list with you as I don't
think the postgresql list is the place to debate what is constant or
not..at least not in terms of mythology and mans creation of metaphors
which we overuse to try to explain what all of this is...when we really
haven't the foggiest idea.  ;-)

Cheers,

Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek