Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting
Date
List pgsql-general
That's an interesting idea. First, you can't (as far as I know) do it
with just schemas to seperate the users. There is no default tablespace
for an object created inside a given schema.

However, there is a default tablespace for a given database. You can (as
superuser) create a tablespace and permit only a specific user to use
it, and then create a database within that tablespace (so that objects
created in that database use only a specific tablespace). Users can't
create their own tablespace, so they can't create objects out of that
tablespace unless the superuser creates a new tablespace and gives them
permission.

That seems like it would work quite effectively, except that you need a
bunch of size-limited areas to point the tablespaces at. It would
probably be inconvenient to have many partitions. Although you could,
like you said, put all the "cheap" accounts on one partition, and the
expensive guys on their own disk. Then again, if you're going to single
out accounts, why not just give the special hosting account their own
instance?

There's no really easy answer. It would be nice if postgres had a "max
size" parameter for tablespaces, and then you could achieve reasoanble
seperation between databases quite easily (while still sharing the
buffers). I'm not sure what the overhead on a feature like that would
be.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis