Re: MySQL 5 comparison - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: MySQL 5 comparison
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 11:53, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ned,
>
> > That reminds me of another, related question ... can anyone comment on the
> > relationship between MySQL 5 and MaxDB (formerly SAP DB)?  The talk at one
> > point was that the end result of that alliance would be a total rewrite of
> > MySQL to incorporate concepts from MaxDB, and that the new product would
> > somehow be backward compatible with both predecessors.
>
> That was the idea, yes.    Personally, I don't think it's possible; that's
> probably the reason why MySQL 5.0 is two years late.    I think eventually
> MySQL AB will have to come to terms with the idea that they have two seperate
> products, MySQL and MaxDB, and the two can't be made compatible.

I think the last theory I had heard was that they were going to make a
maxdb table type for my$ql that would be compatible with maxdb. This
much could work on it's surface (like so many things with my$ql, think
using transactions with myisam which doesnt work but doesnt toss errors)

Robert Treat