Re: Formatting an Interval - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Formatting an Interval
Date
Re: Formatting an Interval  (Kretschmer Andreas <andreas_kretschmer@despammed.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 12:41 -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 11:37:32AM -0500, Jamison Roberts wrote:
>
> > All of the functions that i've looked at seem to only extract parts
> > from Intervals.  What I need to do is to format the interval.  For
> > instance, I have a Interval with the value 1 day 07:57:52.  I would
> > like that in HH:MM:SS.  So in the example the output would be
> > 31:57:52.
>
> I'm not aware of a built-in way to get such a format; somebody
> please correct me if I'm mistaken.
>
> You could write a function to format the interval.  For example,
> with PL/pgSQL you could use EXTRACT(epoch FROM interval_value) to
> convert the interval to a number of seconds; convert that to hours,
> minutes, and seconds; and use TO_CHAR to format the return value.

to_char() works with standard date/time ranges, for example 1-24 -- so
there is no way how convert to anything like "31:57:52".
Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>