Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 22:19 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> AFAIK this is indeed the case with hashed aggregation, which uses the
> sort_mem (work_mem) parameter to control its operation, but for which it
> is not a hard limit.

Hmmm -- I knew we didn't implement disk-spilling for hashed aggregation,
but I thought we had _some_ sane means to avoid consuming a lot of
memory if we got the plan completely wrong. AFAICS you are right, and
this is not the case :-( We definitely ought to fix this.

-Neil