Re: Alternatives to Dell? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Cott Lang
Subject Re: Alternatives to Dell?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 20:53 -0500, Mike Rylander wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:38:50 -0800, Joshua D. Drake
> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > That's true :) One of the reasons the compaq's are expensive
> > is they supposedly use a quad board, even for the dual machine.
> > Which means a different opteron chip as well.
>
> I can confirm that.  You have a choice of CPUs, but all the DL585s are
> expandable to 4 procs if you get the 800 series Opterons.  Each CPU
> sits on it's own daughter board that links up the HyperTransport
> busses between all the others.  Each CPU card has (I think...) 8 slots
> for DIMMS, for a max of 64G.

Why would I want that giant beast when a 1U will do for dual
opterons? :)

The V40zs have dual procs on the main board with a daughter board for
the other two procs. Each CPU has 4 DIMM slots. Sun has the daughter
boards for an outrageous price, but you can buy white box Newisys
daughter boards for a lot less.

The 64GB of 2GB DIMMs I am jealous of, other than that, the DL585 is so
outrageously priced I never considered it.