Re: Increasing the length of - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Increasing the length of
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 11:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Parker wrote:
> > How difficult would it be to make the combination
> >
> >    log_statement = all
> >    log_duration = true
> >
> > just put the duration on the same line as the statement? Then
> > log_min_duration_statement could be used to
> > do the desired log-at-threshold behavior, which certainly seems
> > valuable. You'd need a way to visually/scriptually (?) distinguish those
> > log records, though, I guess.
> >
> > Note that my original post on this was more of a question than an
> > objection - it's entirely possible to sed around having duration and
> > statement on separate lines - I just wanted clarification. Having them
> > on the same line IS handy, however....
>
> Many people want the statement printed when it starts (for real-time
> server monitoring), not when it finishes, meaning we don't know the
> duration at start time.

I think what David is asking for is log_statement and log_duration to
print on the same line at query completion time. We could then change
log_min_duration_statement to print DurationExceeded <duration> rather
than just Duration <time> like it does now, also on the same line, but
with a way to differentiate the two.

Robert Treat