Re: Can postgresql accept mutliple connections in the - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Can postgresql accept mutliple connections in the
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:17 +1300, Dru wrote:
> Though one of hte developers
> tells me that sometimes it gets a link resource allocation error on
> opening connections to the database server which i dont know if that is
> related.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "link resource allocation error". Can
you provide the exact error message you get when a connection is
refused? (Try checking the PostgreSQL logfile.)

> Max connections is set to 500, the webpage for the server code
> initalises and then closes the connection when its done.

It might be worth considering connection pooling or persistent
connections, although that shouldn't be related to the specific problem
you're having.

> Does pg_dumpall or pg_dump lock the database block access
> to the database so you cant create connections?

No.

> Could it be possible
> postgresql can only create one connection at a time and if it gets two
> requests for a connection at the same time it fails?

No.

-Neil