Re: Comment on timezone and interval types - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Ferretti
Subject Re: Comment on timezone and interval types
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:00 +0200, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Using OID's is a good idea, but I think a canonical list of known
> timezone to OID mappings must be maintained and shipped with the
> PostgreSQL core.
>
> If OID's are generated at initdb time, there's a great risk that the
> OID's will differ between databases using different versions of
> PostgreSQL. That in turn will have some negative implications for data
> exchange.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Hallgren

I definitely agree with Thomas . The fact that  OIDs are generated at
initdb time really scares me since we have different versions of the
database engine running; it would really be a nightmare if the OIDs were
different from machine to machine