Re: basic debugging question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: basic debugging question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 12:39 -0700, Scott Frankel wrote:
> I'm attempting to debug a script that should perform a simple INSERT of
> values,
> but for some reason doesn't.  The insert appears to occur without
> error, printing
> "INSERT 18015 1 upon completion."  Nonetheless, no data values appear
> to be
> added to the table when queried in psql.
>
> Questions:
>
> - What does the status msg, "INSERT 18015 1," refer to?

It means one row was added to some table and the row's oid is 18015.

> - Is there something clever I can access -- besides this list ;) -- so
> I can
>    peek inside INSERT 18015 1 to see what pgres is thinking about?

Try

  SELECT * FROM <tablename> WHERE oid = 18015;

If that returns nothing, the row must have been added to some other
table, which would imply the existence of another table with a
compatible structure.

     "Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my
      words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him
      also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh
      in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."
                                 Mark 8:38