Re: Sequence question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Ecker
Subject Re: Sequence question
Date
List pgsql-general
Far from being a perfect idea but a faster solution than stepping through
all holes:

1) Create a second table containing only one field of type of your key.
2) When you delete an entry place the delete key value in your second table
3) If you insert a new entry into your old table and your new table contains
a value, take the minimum value in the new table as your new key and delete
that entry from the new table. If the new table is empty just use the
sequence to get the new key value.

Hope that helps
David Ecker