Re: additional GCC warning flags - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: additional GCC warning flags
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 02:07, Tom Lane wrote:
> Looks reasonable to me.  Just one comment: should the
> -fno-strict-aliasing probe be inside the "if test "$GCC" = yes" part?
> It effectively was in the original.

Yeah, makes sense. Patch applied with this fix and Peter's suggested
improvement to a comment.

> > BTW, since we're on the topic of compiler options, is there a reason we
> > don't use -g3 with GCC when --enable-debug is specified? It seems worth
> > using to me.
>
> How much does it bloat the executable?

Quite a bit, as it turns out: with CFLAGS="-O2 -g, "postgres" is 7077111
bytes. With CFLAGS="-O2 -g3", "postgres" is 51227279 bytes. So there is
quite an increase -- I guess we had better stick with -g then.

-Neil