Re: PL/PgSQL "bare" function calls - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: PL/PgSQL "bare" function calls
Re: PL/PgSQL "bare" function calls  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 01:19, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> ISTM that this is being done at the wrong level anyway. I'd like to see
> a facility available in our SQL, e.g.
>
>   CALL foo();
>
> with the restriction that foo() should be declared to return void.

I think these are two distinct issues. The patch I sent along is
intended to make it more natural to invoke functions (and eventually
procedures) from PL/PgSQL, whereas adding support for CALL to SQL is
part of proper support for stored procedures. Gavin and I are hoping to
send a proposal for the latter to -hackers in a few days.

-Neil