Re: Applying new design - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Applying new design
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 10:42, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As usual, the results are available at http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/
>
> I also took the opportunity to create a simpler and more consistent
> navigation (although it's not yet finished).
>
> Praises, comments and texts to replace "blah-blah" are most welcome.

If it's not too much trouble can we stick with the original navigation
for now? I hate to change the navigation without actually doing some
real site re-architecture.

Some thoughts on the current stuff though... can we reduce or even
better eliminate the margins on both sides? They are a waste of screen
real estate we could do without.

Also make sure that downloads points to the ftp mirrors page, and that
mirrors points to the www mirrors page, right now they both point to the
ftp mirrors.

We also need to move the language preference up to the top of the
screen, i think a drop down where you currently have the search box
would probably work.

speaking of, good move making the search link into a search box, but can
you move it back into the black navigation menu by any chance?

Can you replace the what is? text with the following:
"PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, sql compliant, open source
object-relational database management system. With more than 15 years of
development history, it is quickly becoming the defacto database for
enterprise level open source solutions."  (yes, it's marketing fluff,
but we need to say who we are and what we do right on the main page)

PgFoundry text should read "A home for PostgreSQL related projects where
users can find additional software and modules for PostgreSQL and
developers can take advantage of free tools like Bug tracking, CVS, ftp
space and much more."

then change the Gborg text to read "The precursor to the current
pgfoundry website, you can still find a lot of great software under
active development at gborg"

Thats it for now, thanks again for your work done so far.

Robert Treat