Re: Sending errors from psql to error file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Sending errors from psql to error file
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 16:09, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> "2>" redirects standard error

I forgot to say "&1" means the file open on file descriptor 1, which is
always standard output.

So "2>&1" means send standard error to standard output, so that a pipe
(which just takes standard output) can see the errors as well.

All that you can find in the man page for bash or sh or whatever your
shell is.  (If you used csh or tcsh, I think the syntax would be
different.)

Oliver