Re: [HACKERS] UNICODE characters above 0x10000 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [HACKERS] UNICODE characters above 0x10000
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 06:06, Tom Lane wrote:
> Now it's entirely possible that the underlying support is a few bricks
> shy of a load --- for instance I see that pg_utf_mblen thinks there are
> no UTF8 codes longer than 3 bytes whereas your code goes to 4.  I'm not
> an expert on this stuff, so I don't know what the UTF8 spec actually
> says.  But I do think you are fixing the code at the wrong level.

UTF-8 characters can be up to 6 bytes long:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

glibc provides various routines (mb...) for handling Unicode.  How many
of our supported platforms don't have these?  If there are still some
that don't, wouldn't it be better to use the standard routines where
they do exist?

     "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
      do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they
      carry out their wicked schemes."
                            Psalms 37:7