Re: help with COPY from .csv file into database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: help with COPY from .csv file into database
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 19:15, michael@floog.net wrote:
> Definitely will do this when I get home from work tonight.
> Right now I'm ssh'ing into my box at home, but don't have an X-windows
> server installed on my Win-bloze machine here at work.  It's too
> difficult to edit the .csv file from a console with vim.  I need
> x-windows so I can run OpenOffice spreadsheet to help see the file
> better.
>
> I'm wondering If I may need to reconfigure the fields using CREATE
> TABLE, and add NULL to each field.  I know that the .csv file
> definitely has blank cells scattered throughout that were never filled
> in with text or integers.  I wonder if subsequent cell data is getting
> moved because COPY won't accept empty space between comma separated
> values.  Or is this not an issue.

COPY will accept empty space, but it will treat an empty space as an
empty string, which is not the same as NULL.  If that is meant to go in
an integer or date field, it will be invalid.

Use \N to represent nulls in the input file (or use some other
combination and specify it when invoking COPY).

> Quoting Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>:
>

> > Precisely that.  Either all the data goes in or none of it does.
> >
> > Clean up your input file and it will work.

     "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also;
      knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And
      patience, experience; and experience, hope."
                                        Romans 5:3,4