Re: autovauum integration patch: Attempt #4 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: autovauum integration patch: Attempt #4
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 21:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> > As far as libpq, can't pg_autovacuum dynamically load libpq like dblink
> > does?
>
> Hmm, make the bulk of the autovac daemon be a shlib that is dynamically
> linked by just that subprocess?  Yeah, that might work.

Ok, but I will need someone else to help with this.

> > On the password issue, can't we use .pgpass in the postgres home
> > directory?
>
> I thought of that after sending my initial email.  It's a fairly ugly
> solution, because it confuses logins/passwords that would be appropriate
> for interactive use with what you'd want the daemon to use.  But it
> might be sufficient as a stopgap.  Or possibly better, we could hack the
> autovac code to read the user and password from some protected file
> under $PGDATA.

Ok, I can do this.

> Both of these issues are things that would probably go away in the long
> run, since I doubt that we want to keep the fire-up-an-ordinary-backend
> model forever.  The thing that's troubling me at the moment is that we
> might need to spend a fair amount of work on turning what's only an
> intermediate code state into something that's usable and doesn't break
> any other stuff.  It might be better to hold off and spend that same
> work on the longer-range goal of direct integration.

I understand the concern.  I'm just pushing to get autovac into 7.5, I'm
sure there are lots of people on this list who could have done a better
job, but nobody working on it...

Anyway, I'm very willing to do as much of the lifting as I can.

Matthew