Re: sorting and spaces in postgresql with en_US locale - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: sorting and spaces in postgresql with en_US locale
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 20:58, Chris Kratz wrote:
> We are having a weird problem that we ran into recently.  If I use the
> following statements to create a test table and then run the select statement
> at the end, we get a very strange sort order.  It appears that to do the
> sorting, all the spaces are removed from the strings. It would appear that in
> the example below 'ab e' should be before 'abd'.

> LC_COLLATE:                           en_US
> LC_CTYPE:                             en_US

That is how the en_US (and en_GB) locales are defined.

Their sorting is dictionary style: spaces and capitalisation are
ignored.  This is a glibc issue, not a PostgreSQL issue.

     "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay
      down his life for his friends."      John 15:13