Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 17:29, Klaus Naumann wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 markw@osdl.org wrote:
>
> > FATAL:  unrecognized configuration parameter "archive_mode"
> >
> > Have I missed something since it has been committed?
>
> Yes, Tom has removed this option in favorite of just setting
> archive_command to a value which then enables the PITR code also.
>
> But as I've seen this isn't discussed to the very end currently.
>
> My 2ct: I'd prefer to have archive_mode in the config as it really makes
> clear that this database is archiving. I fear users will not understand
> that giving a program for archival will also enable the PITR function.

I do also think that option should go back in, just to be explicit.

A more important omission is the deletion of a message to indicate that
the server is acting in archive_mode....so there's no visual clue in the
log to warn an admin that its been turned off now or incorrectly
specified (by somebody else, of course). (At least using the default log
mode).

Best Regards, Simon Riggs