Re: NAS, SAN or any alternate solution ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: NAS, SAN or any alternate solution ?
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 01:52, bsimon@loxane.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been searching the list for a while but couldn't find any
> up-to-date information relating to my problem.
> We have a production server with postgresql on cygwin that currently
> deels with about 200 Gigs of data (1 big IDE drive). We plan to move
> to linux for some reasons I don't have to explain.
> Our aim is also to be able to increase our storage capacity up to
> approximately 1 or 2 terabytes and to speed up our production process.
> As we are a small "microsoft addicted" company , we have some
> difficulties to choose the best configuration that would best meet our
> needs.
> Our production process is based on transaction (mostly huge inserts)
> and disk access is the main bottlle-neck.
>
> Our main concern is hardware related :
>
> Would NAS or SAN be good solutions ? (I've read that NAS uses NFS
> which could slow down the transfer rate ??)
> Has anyone ever tried one of these with postgresql ?

Your best bet would likely be a large external RAID system with lots o
cache.  Next would be a fast internal RAID card like the LSI Megaraid
cards, with lots of drives and batter backed cache.  Next would be a
SAN, but be careful, there may be issues with some cards and their
drivers under linux, research them well before deciding.  NFS is right
out if you want good performance AND reliability.

The cheapest solution that is likely to meet your needs would be the
internal RAID card with battery backed cache.