Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR
Date
List pgsql-patches
New release of patch, at v5_1 ... for serious testing
what's in
- Point in Time Recovery now works....please check carefully
- additional options in recovery.conf
(including code contributed to PITR from Klaus Naumann)

what's not (yet)
- Timelines...though I think they are useful, they may not be critical
- handling of local/UTC times (the variable is there...)

The number of permutations is increasing, and available time is
decreasing....not a full retest, OK.

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 19:11, Simon Riggs wrote:

> cd pgsql/src
> patch -p0 < pitr_v5_0.patch
>
> then place
>
> pgarch.c in src/backend/postmaster
> pgarch.h in src/include
>
> Read the README - its long and you wont have a clue without it
>
> ...remember, you HAVE TO run this on a cluster created by initdb within
> the last 2-3 days...
>
> When you perform a recovery, you can use the example recovery.conf
> provided here. (Not all of the options work yet...) Just place this file
> in PGDATA then crank up the postmaster any way you choose.
>
> Known issues:
> - CREATE DATABASE will not be recovered (at present)...create a new
> database BEFORE you take a full physical backup
> - error handling in the archiver has some issues, and requires a few
> improvements...

> ...but this works - so please don't be put off from giving it a try - it
> will take a while to get used to the concepts behind it all.
>
> Earlier versions
> - much of the code for recovery is in xlog.c - refactoring proved
> difficult and a big timewaster when the main functions aren't all there
> yet
> - error messages streamlined
> - variable naming more consistent than earlier versions
>
> Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Attachment