Re: Constraint->function dependency and dump in 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Constraint->function dependency and dump in 7.3
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:42, SZŰCS Gábor wrote:
> Dear Rod,
>
> Thanks. It'll be a pain to have two versions between the prod and devel
> servers, but I'll forward this info to the chief.

You can make this part easier on yourself.

Dump the structure from production and migrate it to devel (fix the dump
file). Keep this file.

>From now on when applying changes to production, keep the structural
changes applied as a separate SQL file (numbers work well).

When building a new box to duplicate production:
1. Apply all patches in orderfor i in `ls *.sql` ; do cat $i | psql test_db ; done
2. Do a data dump of production and restore that to the testing areapg_dump --data-only prod_db | psql test_db

Now you don't need to worry about whether the production schema will or
will not dump properly, since you can reproduce that using external
files.