Re: Enough RAM for entire Database.. cost aside, is this - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Enough RAM for entire Database.. cost aside, is this
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:19, Andy B wrote:
> Ok, this is very interesting. I had assumed that PG's cache already built up
> such in memory structures from the data it gets off disk (aka OS buffer, God
> willing).
>
> Which particular DB's out there would be worth checking out for my
> particular 'all in RAM scenario'?
>
> (Though I need geographical index support or the ability to add my
> own...that was the thing that originally made me look at PG - that and
> having tried to use Mysql)

You're going about this the wrong way.  Build a reasonable large test
database and see how postgresql does.  Examining the underlying tech in
a database is all well and good for pointers, but until you really
benchmark it with realistic load, you don't know what it will actually
do.  You're gonna buy a big honkin box anyway, so after you get it, test
the different engines to see what they can do.