Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:
Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:  (Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 15:49, Donnacha Mac Gloinn wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:51:07 +0100, "Simon Riggs"
> <simon@2ndquadrant.com> said:
> >
> > Donnacha: are your associates aware of such issues with MySQL?
> >

> Although some vB team members threw up technical complications as the
> barrier to creating a PostgreSQL edition, when I and a couple of others
> shook the tree a bit, it became apparent that, while there is some
> acceptance that it would be NICE not to have to rely entirely upon
> MySQL, there isn't the organisational will to actually put the effort
> in.  The technical excuses (quite rightly derided on this list) are
> merely a fig leaf.
>
> The crystalisation of this was that, when the MySQL AB got in touch last
> week to hit them up for licensing fees, they quietly rolled over.  I
> tried to highlight that this was precisely the sort of ransom situation
> you get when you lack supplier diversity and that it might be a good
> idea to move an PostgreSQL edition from being a vague aspiration to
> actually putting it onto some sort of timeline.  The official response
> was more or less along the lines of "We are in contact with MySQL AB,
> we're working something out, it won't affect the customers, so, quit
> bugging us".

They have made their beds, let them sleep in them.  I use phpbb and am
quite happy with it.  I supports PostgreSQL quite well.  Another nice
project that supports PostgreSQL is phpwiki.  Both are well written
projects.  While they tend to focus on initial development of new
versions on MySQL, they use abstraction throughout, and the PostgreSQL
support is ready by release time, even if it has some issues during
development.

If MySQL were a better product, it might be worth paying money for, but
it's not a better product than postgresql, and when it starts costing
money, it's time to ditch it, IMnsHO/