Re: PgSQL shut down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PgSQL shut down
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
> disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
> server? Can any one help me on this.

That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.  That far back I don't think
the backend knew what to do when it ran out of space.  It's likely not
shutting down but crashing, or something in between.

Do you have recent enough backups to not need the data in the exact form
on the database, or do you need what's on there right now?  Try putting
it on a larger partition and seeing if the database will come up and
run.  But this is so far back, I'm not even sure what to do to get it
back up any more.

You should really look at upgrading when you get a chance, after we get
this fixed...