Re: encrypted passwords - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: encrypted passwords
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 11:43, Jim Seymour wrote:

> > I cannot set up password authentication with encrypted passwords. With
> > plaintext passwords auth works fine. So my guess is that I am using an
> > incorrect password encryption program.
> >
> > What encryption utility should I use to store an MD5 password?
> >
> > I tried md5sum, but passwords encrypted with md5sum will not let me log in.
> >
> > I also tried classic "crypt", and I used Python's crypt module to
> > encrypt my password, and it did not work either.
>
> You don't manually encrypt them with anything.  You enter them
> plain-text and pgsql encrypts them before storage.

I am meeting the same problem as the original poster.  I am using
7.4.2.  I have verified that passwords are stored encrypted in pg_shadow
(with "md5" as the prefix).  I have verified that an md5 password is
being transmitted from psql, and I have reset the password so as to
ensure that there is no difference between the supplied and the stored
passwords, but the authentication still fails.

I'm pursuing this with gdb, but if anyone has a quick solution, it would
be nice to know.

     "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with
      God through our Lord Jesus Christ."       Romans 5:1