Re: generic insert into table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: generic insert into table
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:29, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> please CC me, I am on digest
> ---------------------------------
> I have the following code from an application that is 'mysql_centric'. I
> want to make it generic across all databases, if it's possible,
> especially postgres :-)
>
> mysql version:
>     INSERT INTO calendar_setting SET setting='colorEvent',value='#C2DCD5';

For SQL 92, that's not supported syntax.  I don't recall if something
like it got tossed into the latest SQL 03 standard or not.

> There is no data in this table at this time.
> Isn't this the same as:
>     INSERT INTO calendar_setting( 'colorEvent' ) VALUES ( '#C2DCD5');

That's the syntax the SQL 92 spec says to use.

> would this work on all db's?

Probably not.  It's non-standard in the old spec, I don't know about the
new one.  If it got in the newest spec then it could probably get
committed pretty easily.