- Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject
Date
Re:  (Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 23:44, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> We could perhaps do something similar to the Apache 1.3 win platform
> notes, where they (still) say *something* like :
>
> "Apache on windows is not as stable as on unix... but is being actively
> improved all the time"
>
> This is a bit more positive than "it's dangerous!".

Yes it's more positive, but I think there is more danger associated with
an untested database enviornment than an untested web server.  Apache
might crash, but it probably won't eat your data.

> As for people not reading the release notes - we could display the
> platform note (or an href to it) prominently on the download page
> ("they" may still not read that...but it has become a matter of choice
> at that point...).

There will always be people who won't read the notes, or ignore the
notes, as there will always be people doing all sorts of stupid things
that we can't protect them from.  There is only so much we can and
should do to protect these types of people.  I think if we just make
sure we warn people in several places so that anyone who does read the
release notes will find it.

Matthew