Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 12:55, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > The main downside of testing a snapshot, as I see it, is that the
> > snapshot is virtually certain not to be initdb-compatible with either
> > the previous release or the upcoming one.  Mini-releases would have
> > that problem too, and so I don't really see what they add in terms of
> > testability.
>
> The main purpose of mini-releases would be to make testing more accessable to
> newbies who find anon-CVS intimidating.

FWIW we already do nightly tarballs that people can use to build from if
they want...

What might be handy is an alpha build of the win32 version once the
folks developing it feel it's stable enough to merit such a thing...

Course as Bruce mentioned in a post somewhere 'round here, testing is
not the real deficiency here, people who can help code is.

Robert Treat